Changing maxlength on Varchar causes hard crash in Windows XP

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Nov 4 10:50:56 CST 2013

On 10/23/13, 4:50 AM, "Steve Albin" <steve at steve-albin.com> wrote:

> I have the following Xojo code where upDBFile is defined as a VDatabase and
> successfully opened:
>   dim BaseObject as VTable
>   dim fld As VField
>   dim vcfld As VVarChar
>
>   BaseObject = upDBFile.Table( "Songs" )
>   vcfld = BaseObject.VarCharField("cTitle")
>   vcfld.MaxLength = 512
>   upDBfile.Flush
>

> As I step through the Xojo debugger, my app hard crashes in Windows XP when I
> step to the upDBFile.Flush.  I've looked at the vlog and it does not show any
> error that I can see.  The last fiew lines are as follows:
>
> Field_GetIsNull...
> PARAM: inFld = 160427616
> return res = 0
>
> Field_GetStorageEncoding...
> PARAM: inField = 160427616
> return res = "UTF-16"
>
> Field_GetLocaleName...
> PARAM: inField = 160427616
> return res = "en_US"
>
> Field_GetSize...
> PARAM: inFld = 160427616
> return res = 7329712
>
> Field_GetIndexStyle...
> PARAM: inFld = 160427616
> return res = 161523848
>

> Any ideas on why this is happening. It works fine on the Mac. Only crashes in
> Windows.  I'm running V4RB 5.4.3.

Hi Steve,

1) does it crashes on any db?
     or only yours:
        a) all your dbs
        b) only some your db

2) what diagnose says?

3) what version of db engine?  4.x or 5.x?

4) same operation can be done via Valentina Studio, right?
    can you try?
   In this way we can isolate your code or engine code ...

5) if db is not big, and this is 5.x engine, you can send db to us of course
for tests. Especially if vstudio reproduces.