V4iOS?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Jan 2 06:16:19 CST 2012

On 1/2/12 1:45 PM, "Thorsten Hohage" <thohage at genericobjects.de> wrote:

> On 2012-01-02, at 11:53, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> You mean engine itself to keep db files?
>> I wonder what benefits you see? :)
>>
>> * speed?  You really have so big files for mobile devices?
> compatibility?

I have named this API - second point ...

> So I can "move" the app from iOS to Mac OS to Web to Win
> without migration / transferring data Š when thinking long enough about it,
> perhaps you can tell OS to handle a valentina db file as a document and put it
> in the ubiquity container of your app Š

Yes, apps on iOS can have own files as we know,
And they can be copied via iTunes to/from ...

>>   I could image that in very tight RAM of devices, Valentina will beat
>>    like on old computers a lots of times ... But if you really have at
>> least  100MB dbs ?

> When looking at REAL datasizes not at preallocated, optimized for speed sizes,
> Š then I would need several years to bring up a db to 100 MB, I'm dealing with
> invoices and jobs and not with videos or medical dna analysis

>> * db complexity?  20-50 tables?
> is this important?

Yes, because then developer may want love to use Object-Relational model of
Valentina to reduce complexity...

Myself sometimes try this or that task with mySQL or Postgre ...
And I feel very bad feelings when I have no in hands RecId, ObjectPtr,
Links, ...

So myself prefer to use more smart engine ...

>> About port ... If remove images Š

> why "remove"? Do it the core data way and trepass images and other blobs
> through db to files in specified location and store file reference in db. This
> is obligatory for iOS and an option for other OSs to be able to still easily
> transfer db from one platform to another

1) Let me correct myself.

Save IMAGE or any other binary data into BLOB of Valentina
This is not a problem.

I did mean Vpicture field, where Valentina engine do own compression of
bitmaps into JPG ...

2)  images outside of db ???????

I believe I have hear HUNDREDS times from Valentina developers,
That they have used Valentina DB only because Valentina can store images and
other content into DB and even encrypt it.

And 2b)  to "store" images in such way, nothing todo for DB engine.
Its YOU and YOUR app should save picture into location, and store location
into DB. Right?