SV: [ANN] Paradigma makes Vserver Office /5 (DB+REPORTS) to be FREE

XL-Dennis Consulting consult at xldennis.com
Tue Nov 8 07:53:26 CST 2011

Ruslan et al,

FYI:
http://xldennis.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/excel-valentina-database/

>From a general point of view I welcome this initiative and it's highly
appreciated. But the "free"-approach must be carefully handle as it
otherwise can come back and bite You so to speak.

As You point out the Studio + Report tool makes it very interesting,
especially for SMBs (Small & Medium sized company).

As I see it, it exist two main issues:

- How to spread the word
- How to convince potential customers to use Valentina DB and buy
support.

There are some aspect that  I would like to address:
- Offer a yearly support that cost US$ ? per year. This is a must,
especially when targeting SMBs. For instance, three different levels
of support; gold, silver and bronze support.
- Publish case studies that allow Vserver + Valentina DB shine extra,
i.e. cases that shows them from their best side.
- Ask present customers to allow You to publish real world
applications as "White papers" so that potential customers understand
how they can use it but also to give  a signal that Valentina is
actually used. (You already have a list of customers published on Your
site.)
- Wiki documentation must be completed. As it is now it gives the
wrong signal...
- Consider a public web based Q&A forum, it makes it possible for
potential customers to scan it and see some activity.
- Last year when I was a newbie I had difficulties to understand the
various products You offer. The information regarding the different
products must be simplified.
- The terms of use must be easy to understand.
- Collect as much as possible information from people who ask for a
free version. That should give the sales people input.

Questions and comments on the notes.

Note 1:
So what You say is that, as long as we use Vserver according to the
rules we can also use The Studio + Report and ADK for free. That's
really nice but again I believe You need to offer a special support
for it.

Note 4:
No problems but before we do it the version 5.0 must be available for
download.

Anyway, fwiw the above is my 2c-opion and feel free to discuss it.

Kind regards,
Dennis Wallentin
Microsoft Excel MVP
XL-Dennis Blog about .NET & VSTO & Excel:
http://xldennis.wordpress.com/