Migration of Linked records between dbs // Transactions and Triggers for Binary Links

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Jan 26 15:10:08 CST 2011

On 1/25/11 4:36 AM, "John Sims" <john at conceptualight.com> wrote:

Hi John,

> The only other difficulty I see is dealing with the uniqueness of Vale's
> RecID and Object Pointers.  There's no way I am aware of change the
> RecID of a record so keeping the records homogeneous across database
> installations will be pretty much impossible...so, I'll have to try to
> work around that.

We solve this task in many Valentina operations:
    a) clone
    b) xml export import.

Point to understand here is:

If in db1
    you have record in T1 with RecID = 25
    and in T2 related record with ObjectPtr = 25.

Then when we dumping to XML, we just save this info about LOGICAL relation
between two records using UINT numbers
        rec1  ID=25
        rec2  .............   PtrT1=25

When you LOAD this pair into other db2,
This records can get other values

   record in T1 with RecID = 5896
    and in T2 related record with ObjectPtr = 5896

So algorithm which LOAD records, just should take care to correct values in
ObjectPtr or FK other links.