ADK versus VDN

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Feb 14 10:37:54 CST 2011

On 14.02.11 at 07:59 -0800 Lynn Fredricks apparently wrote:
>An ADK is a single connection client / db solution. This is what you get
>with either of the ADK products (ADK you get one, ADK+ you get three). This
>is completely inappropriate if you are sharing dbs on a network.
>
>VDN includes ADKs, but it also lets you deploy Valentina Embedded Server (5
>Connection) royalty free and in unlimited quantities. You can also buy
>higher capacity Embedded Servers at a rate that's much, much lower than
>Valentina Office Server. There are a lot of features which are specific to
>the server version of Valentina, none the least that you can also develop
>PHP and Ruby on Rails based server solutions around it.
>
>You you deploy server only, or client-server solutions with Valentina, VDN
>is what you want.

Thanks Lynn for a quick answer.

Our development environment is Revolution, which is a single-threaded
environment, so a single connection client/db solution is not a real
restriction. The new project is also a server-centric Intranet
application, a single server instance with clients accessing the
program through web browsers only. We won't have more that 5-10
simultaneous users at peak times, and performance is not an issue
either judging from past experience.

If I follow what you are saying on the technical level, with ADK, we
have a program that has a database built-in or behind it, whereas
with VDN, we run a server instance separately from our program and
our program communicates with it through localhost network interface.
Is that always an advantage?

Robert