ADK versus VDN

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Feb 14 12:12:52 CST 2011

On 2/14/11 6:37 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

> Our development environment is Revolution, which is a single-threaded
> environment, so a single connection client/db solution is not a real
> restriction. The new project is also a server-centric Intranet
> application, a single server instance with clients accessing the
> program through web browsers only. We won't have more that 5-10
> simultaneous users at peak times, and performance is not an issue
> either judging from past experience.
>
> If I follow what you are saying on the technical level, with ADK, we
> have a program that has a database built-in or behind it, whereas
> with VDN, we run a server instance separately from our program and
> our program communicates with it through localhost network interface.
> Is that always an advantage?

Hi Robert,

Let me help understand diff between ADK and VDN.

=======================
1) QUESTION:

     Do you need to have VSERVER in your app/solution
     if NO, then ADK is your way.
     if YES - check next

=======================
2) Okay, so you want develop something around VSERVER.
Now it needs decide what server Office or Embedded.

A) Is APP will be used for own (or single) company only?
    Then you can choose Valentina Office Server. ONE COPY.

B) OR you want DEPLOY (!!!) your app/solution many copies.
  e.g. To 100-1000schools.
  e.g.  Sale some accounting software for SOHO
    so they install  VSERVER + 1-5 clients around

 In b) case you need VDN == Vserver Embedded

Absolutely not important here if Livecode is single thread or not.

You develop APPClient which self is single thread.
But you have install 30 copies of this app in class-room around single
VSERVER Embedded.

Vserver get many connections and work multi-thread.