ARM Smartbooks

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Sep 27 10:55:58 CDT 2009

On 9/26/09 11:01 PM, "MBA Software" <mba_software at shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Stan,

> I currently develop software for Netbooks (XP Home & Linux, works well
> on 13" Mac mBooks too).
>
> Do you plan on porting your Linux version of DB and Reports to ARM
> processors?

Frankly saying, we did not think about this task deeply yet :-)
Our nearest task is provide 64 bit versions for 3 OSes.

Does iPhone also use ARM?

We already have port Vclient to iphone, although here main problem not with
CPU at all, but with Cocoa API switch.

> I have seen sales estimates for Smartbooks in 2010 to be 10-12 million
> units (thats about double the annual sales of all Macs, desktop and
> laptop combined!!). Android (developed by Google) Smart Phones use ARM
> linux as well. Estimates for these are in the 10s of millions in 2011.

Sounds good.

> For those who have not heard of Smartbooks they are Netbooks with an ARM
> processor, normal Netbooks have an Intel Atom processor. The advantage
> of ARM is that it consumes far less power so Smartbooks will have a
> battery life of 8 to12 hours between charges (I have seen estimates of
> 16 to 18 hours but that is will screen on lowest brightness and solid
> state hard drive, low processor use). Another cool thing is that they
> are almost instant on, 8 - 12 seconds from when you turn on to when you
> can start typing.

So this is linux, with ARM as CPU, yes?

And what development tools should be used to develop for it?

    Linux, GCC?
    what hardware?