ARM Smartbooks

MBA Software mba_software at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 26 15:01:37 CDT 2009

I currently develop software for Netbooks (XP Home & Linux, works well
on 13" Mac mBooks too).

Do you plan on porting your Linux version of DB and Reports to ARM
processors?

I have seen sales estimates for Smartbooks in 2010 to be 10-12 million
units (thats about double the annual sales of all Macs, desktop and
laptop combined!!). Android (developed by Google) Smart Phones use ARM
linux as well. Estimates for these are in the 10s of millions in 2011.

For those who have not heard of Smartbooks they are Netbooks with an ARM
processor, normal Netbooks have an Intel Atom processor. The advantage
of ARM is that it consumes far less power so Smartbooks will have a
battery life of 8 to12 hours between charges (I have seen estimates of
16 to 18 hours but that is will screen on lowest brightness and solid
state hard drive, low processor use). Another cool thing is that they
are almost instant on, 8 - 12 seconds from when you turn on to when you
can start typing.

Cheers,
Stan