Licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Sep 6 03:09:18 CDT 2009

On 9/6/09 3:45 AM, "Richard McCoy" <mcrmedia1 at insightbb.com> wrote:

Hi Richard,

> First off, thank you immensely for all your help!!! My programs are running
> perfectly these days and Valentina is fast, fast, did I say FAST?!! Thanks.

Glad to hear this.

> Here's a question (or series of questions): I've created this DAM program for
> universities, publishers, archivists, librarians, etc. Late Beta is doing well
> in all test environments as a single user ADK. Now need to expand into local
> network. I have Office Server and licenses so do not anticipate a problem.

Here we need clarify.

VServer Office license allow install it on single computer.

To deploy to hundreds of universities, publishers, archivists, librarians,
And each having own vserver you better need VDN - Vserver Embedded.

----------
> However, we now have the opportunity to expand into a 400,000 sq/ft data
> center to open the program to consortiums running through the internet.

> They're giving us a server and all the pipe/power we want with full IT
> support. The idea is to make the program available to large groups using your
> licensing program.

> Will this work okay?

This Datacenter scenario is easy enough and okay.

In case they will have single SERVER-computer, with single installed
Valentina Office Server INFINITE, its enough for you to have single license
of it.

If you will discover that single vserver is not enough to handle all your
users, they can install lets say 5 or 10 server computers, with 5-10 copies
of Valentina Office Server. In this case you also need obtain 5-10 copies of
Valentina Office Server.

I assume for such data center it needs to use INFINITE connections vserver.

> Any problems you foresee running Valentina off a remote
> data center in a centralized city using either desktop clients or Shockwave?

No,

But of course it will require more work for you.
Most probably your application will require some improvements to work better
and fast with remote vserver.

For example, here better to use everywhere SQL way but not API way.
You see?

Also issues with setup of permissions for users arrive.

May be you will find useful to re-write some logic of APP using Stored
Procedures, because this is better/faster for client/server env.

> Can we reuse licenses if one group discontinues and another takes its place?

> Any limit to the number of licenses running concurrently in a read/write
> environment?

> Is there a possibility of using timeouts to drop inactive clients
> after a specific time lapse?

Yes, VSERVER have several timeouts in the INI file.

I think you need now carefully read all docs about VSERVER.
Then we can continue this discussion

> Anything I really need to know in advance?

It sounds you going to have a lots of clients around server.

This is always critical task, so will require efforts.
Be aware of this.