Evaluating VServer

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jun 7 16:30:41 CDT 2009

On 6/7/09 8:06 PM, "Thomas Flemming" <tf at ttqv.com> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

> I'm currently evaluating the Vserver_Embedded.

I think you better should choose Valentina Office Server
Easier start

> I installed it and I changed some code to access my databases now with a
> connection instead of directly open them.
> myConnection = New VConnection("localhost", "sa", "sa", 15433, 0, "key")

Okay, you have correctly catch, that port is 15433 :)

> It works, but much, much slower then with direct open.
> I'm only searching and reading in the database, nowriting, no sql, just the
> api-way.

API way is not best for VSERVER.
SQL was invented for access to remote server

> So for example one specific benchmark I have does 66015x searching for a
> specific record and then loads the record out of the table.
> This takes 10sec, when I open the database directly and 930 sec. when I go the
> VServer-Way !
>
> So its very slow!

Yes, because client/server each command should pack into network command,
send by socket, unpack,

---------------
> I can even see the difference in VStudio.
> When I open the database directly in VStudio, I can browse very fast through
> the table.
> When I open the same database connecting to the Vserver, scrolling in the
> table is very slow.
>
> Is it normal, that the vserver is so much slower then the direct way? Or am I
> missing something?

Yes it is slower of course.
How much depends on tasks.

I remember you was advised to use VSERVER to resolve issue with open of the
same db by APP and Vstudio.

1) I wonder is it so hard to avoid double open by App and Vstudio?

2) I also wonder, you are on Windows, right?
  if yes, then Windows even will not allow you open the same VDB twice.

For now it is obvious that vserver is not for your task