Evaluating VServer

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Sun Jun 7 16:49:08 CDT 2009

Hi Ruslan,

On 2009-06-07, at 23:30, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> So for example one specific benchmark I have does 66015x searching
>> for a
>> specific record and then loads the record out of the table.
>> This takes 10sec, when I open the database directly and 930 sec.
>> when I go the
>> VServer-Way !
>>
>> So its very slow!
>
> Yes, because client/server each command should pack into network
> command,
> send by socket, unpack,

in my experience server is never so much slower then using local db -
in contrast in several of *MY* cases server seems to be faster! Of
course I didn' use the API way at all, only SQL and some optimizations
in my code, but a difference of factor 93 seems really hugh!

Tom, there are several more things that can cause this slowdown, when
I remember correctly discussions here and at my own customers

* When you start the app again, same result?

* What AntiVirus Software are you using? Any other security software
on your machine? Try to switch everything of and run again

* Did you have any chance to install a VServer and your app on a
different machine and test again? I experienced strangest slow downs
on a machine, lost many, many hairs AND found nothing, except, that
the same machine (regarding hardware and installed system) in the same
network connecting to the same server runs light speed faster then the
first one. Only a "format c:" and re-installation boosts the first
system.

* On Vista or XP? - What is with this indexing of files for searches,
how is it configured and could it possible just re-indexes the db files?

and as already mentioned to you in of-list mail

* Did you switch of all the logs?

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord