ADK license questions

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Feb 23 00:32:08 CST 2009

Hi Alex,

Asking the a non-native English speaker to interpret a EULA is considered
cruel and unusual punishment in some countries (for native speakers too!).
Ill try to answer these.

> I want do create a simple custom REST server which stores
> values in a valentina db but after reading the section titled
> "NO NETWORK APPLICATIONS" in the ADK license:
> http://valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:licensi
ng:valentina_adk_eula

> * How do I license the ADK Product under terms that allow
> Network Applications?

The network applications here are to treat the database runtime as a
networked database.

> The section called "FIELD MODIFICATION LIMITS" suggests it is not
> possible to create SQLManager-style applications unless the
> controlling
> application can work with (more or less) a fixed database structure..
>
> * Is this correct?

This section limits the ability to deploy a Filemaker type product based on
the Valentina engine. Some developers have contacted us about specific
projects and we've treated them on a case-by-case basis.

> Also, under the section "CUSTOM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT" it says
> my client
> must also purchase a "DEVELOPER SERIAL CODE"..
>
> * Is it possible to purchase this on behalf of the client under the
> client's name?

You can buy it on behalf of a client, provided that all details provided are
the clients. There is no prohibition against your client purchasing a
developer code, and your working on it as a contractor.

What this prohibits is a custom software developer purchasing the code, then
passing developer rights to that code to one or more clients. If you
purchase a developer code, make applications and then sell those
applications to your customer, then you are doing so under the terms of the
agreement you enter with Paradigma, and what you are granting to your
customer is a license to use your work, which incorporates Valentina. The
only "developer license" is between the "owner" of the product and
Paradigma.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President