what can fail Valentina drivers to be loaded successfully?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Dec 21 06:34:15 CST 2009

On 12/21/09 1:08 PM, "Tiemo Hollmann TB" <toolbook at kestner.de> wrote:

Hi Tiemo,

> Shipping my V4REV_3 App, since a few month I now get every couple of days
> new customers with DB errors. Here are the facts I can see:
>
> 1. It is a read only DB (not from the file settings, but as from my App it
> is read only), though there is a REINDEX at every startup

ok

> 2. At those customers, where my App fails, the error is reproducible every
> time. The error comes at the very first Valentina statement (now
> Valentina_Init, was before Valentina_Isopen) and so the DB and my App can't
> be used at all.

Yes, this means that Valentina dylibs was not found.

Let such user start /Applications/Utilities/Console.app
And here in log should be line e.g.
    ....  vkernel.dylib is not found ...

Best of all, open console, cleanup window, then try to start your app.
Then user will start see logs during this start

> 3. At the very most customers my App runs fine without any problems on Mac
> (10.3  - 10.6) and Win (2000 - 7)

ok

> 4. Most failures are on Mac, but some are also on Win

MAC - is very strange.
I'd expect more problems on win7 :)

> 5. It seems that the failures actually only appear since my latest release
> with some bug fixes on other parts of the App. At the DB part of my App I
> have nothing changed since the first release, I am using the same Revolution
> Release, as before, nothing changed there. So there seems to be a coherence,
> but I can't see it. A coherence with a new release could be that the binding
> of the Valentina drivers is broken in my new release, but as said before, at
> most customers it runs just fine, so it must be something machine specific.
>
> 6. Now I got a Mac customer, who  comes with a "DB couldn't be opened, error
> -39" what usually means EOF!? I don't know, if this is also related to the
> same cause of not fully loaded Valentina driver or something else.

Yes this is EOF error.

If this is true, then may be DB file is corrupted, and this error, is not
the same as above with Valentina_Init()...

Let user try remove his db, so app will create new fresh db, to see if error
will go away.

If yes, then db was corrupted. It should be cloned.
If db contains important info, user can send you ZIP of db and you can clone
it in vstudio and send it back to him.

> 7. Because most problems appear on Mac, I don't think of a correlation to an
> antivirus prog

right

> My questions:
>
> 1. Without notice of my Program code, can anybody see any correlation to
> similar experiences?
>
> 2. Has anybody any experiences, of unsuccessful loaded Valentina drivers on
> special machines? What can cause this?

There was one vdeveloper V4MD, which also have told about often not load of
Valentina dlls on win...

> 3. Is there anything I can do different in bundeling the valentina drivers
> with my App, as just to put them in the right directory?

Hey, on MAC you must yet run deployment script !!!

Its for WIN you need just copy items of vcomponents into EXE folder.