Contemplating a change to Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sat Aug 22 01:48:27 CDT 2009

On 8/22/09 7:46 AM, "Beatrix Willius" <bwillius at gmx.de> wrote:

> 2. I am looking at the "Choosing a Style of Coding" web site on Valentina
> (http://valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:articles:coding_style)
> . As none of my apps have shipped, I guess I can change to any coding style.
> Which one would be best? I foresee my app primarily being a non-networked,
> single user, local database, although, someone, I am sure, is going to want to
> network the app, so I don't want to close the network door.
>
> If you use SQL then this also will work with Valentina.

Yes and SQL is better for network future.

> 3. How hard is it to do the "whole word search" for 'hat' in Valentina and
> only return the 39 records?
>
> This is as simple as using regex.

Actually you may prefer just to set flag IndexByWords for that field.

Then Valentina build special index by words (like FilMaker do).
And then you do such simple query as

WHERE fld = 'hat'       -- exact match

WHERE fld LIKE 'hat%'       -- start with hat

In WIKI pointed different variants of string searches