Contemplating a change to Valentina

Beatrix Willius bwillius at gmx.de
Fri Aug 21 23:46:21 CDT 2009

Hi Greg,

On 22.08.2009, at 01:29, Greg Olson-Hyde wrote:

> 1. My complete app, on the Mac using SQLite, would consist of the RB
> file (10MB) and the SQLite database file (63MB) - what files would I
> have to ship if I use Valentina - is the database engine built-in
> (V4RB.rbx?) or is it external to the RB app? Approximately what
> sizes would they be? I am hoping I don't have to ship the 80MB
> Valentina Studio Pro app with my app! I will also be shipping for
> Windows and Linux.

The app will get a bit larger because of the Vcomponents file. My own
app currently is about 74 MB, which compresses to about 20 MB. Of
course, the database engine is contained within the app.

> 2. I am looking at the "Choosing a Style of Coding" web site on
> Valentina (http://valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:articles:coding_style
> ). As none of my apps have shipped, I guess I can change to any
> coding style. Which one would be best? I foresee my app primarily
> being a non-networked, single user, local database, although,
> someone, I am sure, is going to want to network the app, so I don't
> want to close the network door.

If you use SQL then this also will work with Valentina.

> 3. How hard is it to do the "whole word search" for 'hat' in
> Valentina and only return the 39 records?

This is as simple as using regex.

> 4. What other search options are available in Valentina? I assume I
> can do: 'Begins with', 'Ends with', 'Contains', 'Greater than',
> 'Less than', 'Is', 'Isn't' - are there others?

See answer before.

> 5. Are my existing SQLite database tables able to be imported into
> Valentina or do I have to create them from the beginning? (no big
> deal, would just make life easier!)
>
> 6. How easy would it be to import the data from my existing SQLite
> database?

Don't know.

> 7. There are a large number of examples that downloaded with V4RB_4,
> which ones would be the best to start with? I find them confusing as
> there is no "Read Me" to explain what they do - although some of
> them are self explanatory.

Just work through them.

> 8. I have tried the tutorial (http://valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:products:adk:v4rb:tutorial:lesson1
> ) - but could not get it to work - is there a file of the completed
> tutorial I could look at to see where I went wrong?

Have a look at the example Common/Database_CreateCloseOpen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: archive, clean and search email
http://www.beatrixwillius.de
Fractals, 3d landscapes etc.