PDFs where available

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Apr 25 06:40:53 CDT 2009

On 4/25/09 10:28 AM, "Peter Malecki" <pemalecki at googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi Peter,

> Latest version see page 17 or 44, 46 for example. I think a Wiki is a
> very good tool for documentation and quick access during work but it's
> not really comfortable for getting an overview (reading later in the
> night, sitting in an armchair I don't like a hot notebook on my
> legs...).

Yes we know. But currently it is as is.
There is no way auto-generate PDFs from WIKI.
We hope improve this future.

> Here another question I have no solution for and I need some help
> please.

Of course.

> I was a heavy RDBS user and because I want to produce a Linux
> version for my application I tried Revolution and built a test
> application with SQlite. The application is an easy to program
> dictionary. For to have a Web 2.0 like interface I installed an
> "onkey" event for searching (in a table with round about 4 million
> records). Because I have to handle upper and lower characters (German
> language) I added a special search field with only upper characters,
> indexed, no word index.

In Valentina ?

Actually you can not create SECOND field which contains COPY of data.
You can just create Table Method which is indexed, and specify for it
case-insensitive mode.

> What I want to do is not very sophisticated,
> here an example:
>
> SQlite: select fld, fld, fld from tbl where seachfield => searchword
> limit 100, it was lightning fast.

SqlLite from Revolution?
Using RBDB API ?
I ask to see if you use lazy search mode in SQlLite?

I have hear it have lazy search mode, when in fact it searches only first
record of result and stops. So make illusion of faster search.

> So I bought Valentina hoping to get even better results and also more
> security, but sorry it is awfully slow.

Hmm.

> The same query: select fld, fld, fld from tbl where seachfield =>
> searchword order by searchfield limit 100 takes so much time that it
> is not possible to use it after an "onkey" event.

I see that for Valentina you use ORDER BY, but for Sqllite no?

-------
> I don't understand it, but a little bit faster seemed to be if a tried
> "like" instead of >=. Then the first search needs only 15 sec. against
> 180 seconds using =>.

Incredible time...

See below.

> Depending on cache I see a search increase but as soon as I change
> language or get an result with a lot of words >='A'  -> more than
> 500.000 it slows down again.
>
> By the way a search with = is really lightning fast!
>
> Is there another way to increase speed for my requirement? Thank you
> very much for advice, I am helpless yet!

* what size of your DB ?
    to compress it and send to me

* have you try do queries from Vstudio?

* If you use db.SqlSelect() or SqlQuery() methods you can specify
    kNoLocks, this may speed up 2 times for simple queries.

* In the WIKI read about TuneMode of Valentina

http://valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:vcomponents:vsql:refe
rence:properties:vengine

You can set it ON to get TuneLog with EXPLAIN of your query,
So you can see what part of query is slow and why