Geographical indexing

Thomas Flemming tf at ttqv.com
Wed Apr 22 08:34:23 CDT 2009

Hi Torsten,

thank you for joining us in this thread :-)
You remember, we spoke about this a while ago already.
In the meantime I spend a lot of time with the vnet.dll and I like it very
much. The speed, the api and last but not least the support I already got from
the developer team.
So I'm not giving up, because I know that this database is the one I want to use.

>>> Ivan have ask question:
>>>
>>> * what time of queries is?
>>>    0.1 sec
>>>    1 sec
>>>    10 sec ?
>>>
>>> * if queries itself are long, then SQL binding will not help a lots
>>> of
>>> course. It helps for very short fast queries when SQL parser
>>> overhead is
>>> significant.
>>>
>> Are you trying my sampleproject from mantis?
>> On my computer each of the three tests takes around 7 sec for 100
>> queries with
>> different parameters into this sample-database with 800000 records.
>> So less then 0.1 sec for one query.
>

> I'm seriously thinking about another question here.
>
> You know (?) I build a large ORM-Framework with REALbasic and this
> executes many, many "short" queries. So after a lot work two years ago
> Ruslan & Co. afforded this was really fast.
>
> Right now - for several reasons - I re-write the whole software with
> Obj-C 2.0 / Cocoa / Xcode and was simply blown away from the speed
> difference between REALbasic and my new Cocoa app. Unbelievable faster!
>
> I know the historical reasons, why you (still) use MS Visual Studio /
> VB.NET, but is there any chance to rewrite a smallest part of in in
> e.g. C++ to check what happens there. Just to ensure, that not
> Valentina is the bottle neck.
>
> If this is really "short" code for the central data processing method
> you can think about sending me the necessary source code so I can get
> a picture and try to make a sample with Obj-C. So we all can see what
> happens in difference to the VB.Net app on the same db and with the
> same data. Of course I know this is a difficult topic and of course
> (2) I don't ask for the crown jewels of your company ;-)

This is a very generous offer and it would be very interesting to see the
difference.
The easiest way would be just to take the sample from this Mantis-Issue, there
is also the link to the sample-database.
The whole code is in form1.vb, not even 250 lines.

> AFAIK you already have my full contact details, feel free to get in
> contact with me of-list / by phone, don't talk about this further on.

I'm still in Windhoek, but will go to Germany in two weeks, then I will call you.

Best regards,
Tom

--
**   Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Flemming