Geographical indexing

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Wed Apr 22 08:18:03 CDT 2009

Hi Tom,

On 2009-04-22, at 11:32, Thomas Flemming wrote:

>> Ivan have ask question:
>>
>> * what time of queries is?
>>    0.1 sec
>>    1 sec
>>    10 sec ?
>>
>> * if queries itself are long, then SQL binding will not help a lots
>> of
>> course. It helps for very short fast queries when SQL parser
>> overhead is
>> significant.
>>
> Are you trying my sampleproject from mantis?
> On my computer each of the three tests takes around 7 sec for 100
> queries with
> different parameters into this sample-database with 800000 records.
> So less then 0.1 sec for one query.

I'm seriously thinking about another question here.

You know (?) I build a large ORM-Framework with REALbasic and this
executes many, many "short" queries. So after a lot work two years ago
Ruslan & Co. afforded this was really fast.

Right now - for several reasons - I re-write the whole software with
Obj-C 2.0 / Cocoa / Xcode and was simply blown away from the speed
difference between REALbasic and my new Cocoa app. Unbelievable faster!

I know the historical reasons, why you (still) use MS Visual Studio /
VB.NET, but is there any chance to rewrite a smallest part of in in
e.g. C++ to check what happens there. Just to ensure, that not
Valentina is the bottle neck.

If this is really "short" code for the central data processing method
you can think about sending me the necessary source code so I can get
a picture and try to make a sample with Obj-C. So we all can see what
happens in difference to the VB.Net app on the same db and with the
same data. Of course I know this is a difficult topic and of course
(2) I don't ask for the crown jewels of your company ;-)

AFAIK you already have my full contact details, feel free to get in
contact with me of-list / by phone, don't talk about this further on.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord