Character conversion in V4MD again

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Nov 10 05:15:26 CST 2008

On 11/10/08 1:09 PM, "Alexey Starchikhin" <ssa at sevenrays.ru> wrote:

> Hello all,

I'm working on multilingual product, using Director MX 2004
> and
Valentina 3. First problem i encountered was conversion of special
symbols
> in different languages from Valentina unicode to Director
internal ASCII.
> Finally i've managed to get all languages working by
manipulation with
> "ioEncoding" property (it's undocumented
unfortunately).  Now for Russian
> strings i'm using pDbo.ioEncoding =
"Windows-1251", and for other languages
> (German, French, Italian,
Spanish) - pDbo.ioEncoding = "ISO-8859-1"  With this
> setting all
special symbols are in place. All but few important exeptions.

1)
> "'" (Apostrophe) symbol is missing. It's exists in russian strings
after
> reading info from the base with ioEncoding = "Windows-1251",
but in all other
> languages with ioEncoding = "ISO-8859-1" this symbol
disappears after reading,
> it exist in the base, but not exist in
result string (replaced by
> chr(26))

2) Š (three dots) symbol is missing too.

I can just replace this
> last symbol with actual 3 dots to solve this,
but apostropthe is
> critical.

How can i get apostrophe working, can you help me?

Hi Alexey,

May be its good idea switch to Director 11 ?

It support Unicode, and all this nasty problems just go away I think.