Character conversion in V4MD again

Alexey Starchikhin ssa at sevenrays.ru
Mon Nov 10 05:09:50 CST 2008

Hello all,

I'm working on multilingual product, using Director MX 2004 and
Valentina 3. First problem i encountered was conversion of special
symbols in different languages from Valentina unicode to Director
internal ASCII. Finally i've managed to get all languages working by
manipulation with "ioEncoding" property (it's undocumented
unfortunately).  Now for Russian strings i'm using pDbo.ioEncoding =
"Windows-1251", and for other languages (German, French, Italian,
Spanish) - pDbo.ioEncoding = "ISO-8859-1"  With this setting all
special symbols are in place. All but few important exeptions.

1)  "'" (Apostrophe) symbol is missing. It's exists in russian strings
after reading info from the base with ioEncoding = "Windows-1251",
but in all other languages with ioEncoding = "ISO-8859-1" this symbol
disappears after reading, it exist in the base, but not exist in
result string (replaced by  chr(26))

2) … (three dots) symbol is missing too.

I can just replace this last symbol with actual 3 dots to solve this,
but apostropthe is critical.

How can i get apostrophe working, can you help me?

 Alexey                          mailto:ssa at sevenrays.ru