MAC OS & .vdb extension

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jun 9 09:35:33 CDT 2008

On 6/9/08 4:02 PM, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I haven't read anything on default behavior but just from using Mac OS
> programs even pages automatically adds a .pages extension. Maybe you are
> thinking about when you set your system in mac os so the .xtn is not
> visible?
>
> Anyway if the data file does not have teh .vdb extension RunRev will not
> open it so it is pretty important.

I do not see why it cannot open "mydb", but point is next:

* on MAC OS for years was no extensions. You could use them, but they did
not play major role.

* OS X still support this behavior, although it seems claimed as going to be
deprecated.

* OS X move forward to Windows-style of extensions, and seems to MIME type
of Linux.

* IF YOU DEVELOP app which going to be cross-platform, then yes it is good
idea write your code to always specify .vdb.

    Also exists Valentina_SetExtentions() handler that allow you give to
engine your own extensions for your own app.

Tomorrow I will talk with Igor what exactly he have change in Vstudio.
I think its enough that New Database dialog will offer

        untitled.vdb

As default name.. And for Windows of course vdb is required. Even if user
have not specify it.

> Bill
>
> PS - I tried to answer your comment in Mantis but couldn't anyway it is
> probably better here because I bet there is someone on this list who knows
> lots about what Mac OS behavior is supposed to be, certainly more than I.

Ok. np