[DISCUSSION] Object Relational Mapping (ORM) - TYPES

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Oct 11 01:31:16 CDT 2007

On 11/10/07 1:55 AM, "Thorsten Hohage" <thohage at objectmanufactur.com> wrote:

> b) There is always a difference between class types and db types,
> e.g. char(23), string(32), varchar(123), text, ... all this maps to
> String in REALBasic. So what to do?

> Now you can insert additional
> fields in your ORM-model to create the table. But then this model is
> tied to the choosed database. Most ORM-frameworks try to be and (IMHO
> should be) as indepent from the db as possible. So a customer want to
> migrate from Oracle to Valentina, you need to change all the models
> in the case, that you specify db type in model, too.

Please note that in Valentina Class way we instead offer

Class Person : VTable
{
    VVarchar    mName1;
    Vstring     mName2;

    Person()
    :
        mName1( "fldName1", 123, fIndexed ),
        mName2( "fldName2", 32,  fIndexed )
    {
    }
}

I.e. We have provide on language level set of classes that mirror field
types. And exactly this idea play huge role in Class Way of Valentina.

And our benefit is:
    Valentina Class Way try be as close to Valentina engine as possible.
    We not going help to Oracle developers :-)