V4WS: Any disadvantages to using VarChar instead of String for ~100 byte strings?

Steven Ronald stevenrt39 at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 23 01:01:04 CDT 2007

Ruslan,

I have two fields in a table that typically store
strings around 100 bytes in length. I could make them
String 100, but would it save disk space if I use
VarChar instead? Specifically, if I store a string of
length 30 bytes in a VarChar field, does it only use
30 bytes on disk?

Does using VarChar make the table any more susceptible
to corruption than String?

Best Regards,
Steven