V4WS: Any disadvantages to using VarChar instead of String for ~100 byte strings?

Ivan Smahin IvanSmahin at public.kherson.ua
Wed May 23 01:26:42 CDT 2007

Hello Steven,

> Ruslan,

> I have two fields in a table that typically store
> strings around 100 bytes in length. I could make them
> String 100, but would it save disk space if I use
> VarChar instead? Specifically, if I store a string of
> length 30 bytes in a VarChar field, does it only use
> 30 bytes on disk?

Practically  yes.  But  if you are expecting only few strings which is less
than 100 bytes it might be out of sense.

> Does using VarChar make the table any more susceptible
> to corruption than String?

Short  answer  is  yes - but it is not commonly happened anymore. Each
such   case   we  are trying to investigate and fix - so now it is low
risk to get corruption.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc