Feature request: Collation settings on connection level

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jun 19 03:49:11 CDT 2007

On 19/6/07 11:32 AM, "Thorsten Hohage" <thohage at objectmanufactur.com> wrote:

Hi Thorsten,

>> How can I have a 3 different sort orders for 3 different persons at
>> the same time. I don't see how I can specify this. It seems to me I
>> can only specify a sort order for a table or a database, not for a
>> connection ?
>
> I must second Bart here. My initial thought when I read Bart's
> posting was about specific sort order.
>
> For me it's no question to handle charEncoding in my app, so
> everything behind the screens is UTF-8 (RB) / UTF-16 (Valentina) -
> nothing else, even thought when exporting / dumping data from the
> database is somekind a little bit tricky (read - manual work that I
> need to do).
>
> But ordering a result set is done by the db and that's the place
> where the collation jumps in.
>
> Without reading the wiki (sorry - Ruslan) if it's not possible to set
> collations based on a connection, what's about a extended syntax,
> something like
>
> select lastname, firstname from contacts order by lastname USE
> COLLATION 'french'

No no no guys.

I think you want something not real.

E.g. I have see that OpenBase specify for a database CHAR SET ORDER when you
do db.Create. DONE. After this this db can sort only in this order. They
even do not allow have different collations for different tables and than
more for fields. Valentina Allow this.

> Btw. I need this feature, too. Because one of my clients based in
> Hamburg, Germany have dependencies in New York and Barcelona and just
> last week I get a complain, why the result lists - reports differ
> from location to location in question of ordering.

But this means that YOU SELF have not specify db.Collation() for your dbs
under different servers. Right?

IF you have 10 VSERVER which manage the same database,
    and they all on creation of DB
    use not system settings, but YOUR specified settings

Then all 10 dbs will work in the same way 100%.