Feature request: Collation settings on connection level

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Tue Jun 19 03:32:12 CDT 2007

Hi,

On 2007-06-19, at 10:16, Bart Pietercil wrote:

>>> So when I am asking for connection based collation settings
>>> (different locales,different French secondary,....) I mean this kind
>>> of problem.
>>
>> What exactly problem is?
>

> How can I have AT THE SAME TIME but per connection have different
> collation settings?
>
> How can I have a 3 different sort orders for 3 different persons at
> the same time. I don't see how I can specify this. It seems to me I
> can only specify a sort order for a table or a database, not for a
> connection ?

I must second Bart here. My initial thought when I read Bart's
posting was about specific sort order.

For me it's no question to handle charEncoding in my app, so
everything behind the screens is UTF-8 (RB) / UTF-16 (Valentina) -
nothing else, even thought when exporting / dumping data from the
database is somekind a little bit tricky (read - manual work that I
need to do).

But ordering a result set is done by the db and that's the place
where the collation jumps in.

Without reading the wiki (sorry - Ruslan) if it's not possible to set
collations based on a connection, what's about a extended syntax,
something like

select lastname, firstname from contacts order by lastname USE
COLLATION 'french'

Btw. I need this feature, too. Because one of my clients based in
Hamburg, Germany have dependencies in New York and Barcelona and just
last week I get a complain, why the result lists - reports differ
from location to location in question of ordering.

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany