Feature request: Collation settings on connection level

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 03:16:43 CDT 2007

On 19-jun-07, at 10:07, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 19/6/07 10:13 AM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When I say multilingual I mean human languages. In Belgium we have
>> three official languages (from big to small) Dutch, French, German.
>> So it is perfectly possible that three person preferring these three
>> languages, log in into the same VServer at the same time.
>
> Right.
>
>> The db model has taken this into account (each person will be served
>> its own language, the interface text will be looked up in the
>> db,....) but 1 problem remains.
>
> right
>
>> When the French speaking person asks for a sorted result, he will be
>> expecting French secondary, the German speaking person will NOT want
>> French secondary and so on.
>
> right
>
>> So when I am asking for connection based collation settings
>> (different locales,different French secondary,....) I mean this kind
>> of problem.
>
> What exactly problem is?
>
> What not works for you NOW ?
>
> You want be able to make in French what?
>     login?
>     password?
>     else?
>
> I cannot catch this

How can I have AT THE SAME TIME but per connection have different
collation settings?

How can I have a 3 different sort orders for 3 different persons at
the same time. I don't see how I can specify this. It seems to me I
can only specify a sort order for a table or a database, not for a
connection ?

Bart