Paradigma Wants You - Valentina Community Server

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Jul 1 17:11:00 CDT 2007

On 02/07/2007, at 1:12 AM, Thorsten Hohage wrote:

> If we are talking about a solution and users and licences then I
> think the customer used the app and the database as a tool to earn
> some money, they're probably not a NGO? So if they want
> professional software, than they need to spend money on it.
Why, it could just as easily be a non-profit charity with 10
volunteers who take web donations. They go to hotscripts and download
a GPL'd donation script for MySQL.  We could exchange examples all
day but it doesn't prove anything except who can type fastest:)

It's not about being free - they're offering PHP for free now with
VCS, it's about having to buy/run 2 servers and sync them somehow
when it should be able to happen on a single server.

> But of course there are several more benefits. I only need to
> maintain ONE software for every needs, doesn't matter if this is a
> RB-app for a small company, or a community site using Linux and
> PHP. I can exchange db-design between both "platforms", ...
But you still have to sync the data and we already know no other
client can connect to VCS. That, in itself, is going to be a challenge.

> Furthermore when I compare my solutions running on Valentina to my
> solution running on mySQL then I find a further argument, why this
> offer is really cool: SPEED!
Valentina is fast, of course, but sometimes it doesn't matter that
much (I can hear Ruslan fainting in the background:)  I just logged
into our biggest FMP solution - @ 400,000 records over 7 tables. I
did a search which queries all tables and it returned the result in
around half a second - and this is from my MacBook Pro under Rosetta.
Valentina might be faster but in solutions like this it's not going
to matter.

> Btw. - now I'm not paid by Valentina marketing ;-)
perhaps you should<g>

cheers

kim