VCS, Handling Infinite Connections and the Meaning of Free

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sun Jul 1 10:57:11 CDT 2007

> Imagine I have a client with an RB solution and 10 users. I
> can get a 10 user version of Office Server but they can't use
> the same machine for the web unless they buy more
> connections. If they get a Linux server, they can use as many
> web connections as they like. Huh? So we're telling them to
> set up a second server even though they might be running an
> XServe which supports unlimited web connections.

Id like to answer a few questions this fine Sunday morning. I think a lot of
confusion is being created by a lack of locatable information on the
website. The VDN section is getting rewritten to improve on this.

Office Server and Embedded Server versions that are not "infinite
connections" assume that you arent putting your solution in a "high
connectivity" situation (think offices and groupware). But you can get
infinite connections in either case, and now along comes VCS. Why choose one
over the other?

Ruslan's defnition of free also needs some clarification - he isnt a native
speaker. "Free" has specific meaning judicially. Vclient support is included
at no charge with other portions of what is licensed in an ADK or VDN.

-Valentina Office Server is a standalone, single deployment product, that an
end user can buy, and so can a consultant. Its an "off the shelf" database
and it includes a copy of Valentina Studio Admin Edition. It has a broad
range of connectivity. So far, all non-specific to a release Vclients can
connect to it, including ODBC. It directly supports Bonjour and SSL. If you
are a VDN Consultant buying this for your client, you get a 20% discount. It
includes a year of support and upgrades and the customer can expect support
from Paradigma.

-Valentina Embedded Server (non-Infinite) can be deployed by VDN members
without limit. Its bundled with one or more ADKs. The Pro ADKs are useful
(the ones that come with VDN Professional), VPHP, Vruby, VODBC because while
these also give local access capabilities it's a deployable you can give
your customers. VDN members who do not have this level arent granted a
license to deploy the deployables to their customers or "sub-license" them
in the same way that Embedded Server is. End user support is 100% with you,
the VDN member - you have total control over how your dbs work. If you have
VDN Enterprise, you also get the Bonjour and SSL adapters (available to VDN
members as an extra for $99 each) for deployment purposes. VDN members in
good standing can purchase and deploy Valentina Embedded Server Unlimited, a
no-limits connection version of Embedded Server - this is a per deployment
(one license per deploy) solution.

All together, with Valentina Embedded Server Unlimited, for $400, you are
able to deploy something that is very, very close to our unlimited Valentina
Office Server.

So as a consultant who deploys solutions that have to manage high volume
websites and internal networks, its really a choice here between Valentina
Office Server Unlimited and Valentian Embedded Server Unlimited. You could
have sites built around VCS, but then again the only connectivity there is
PHP, plus there are also licensing differences.

-VCS is a free, "end user" database server on Linux (it is licensed,
non-open source). You can write PHP based solutions around it, and
eventually Ruby will get added to the mix as well. Noone can "sub-license"
it. It has to be downloaded from our website (unless there is specific
permission). You can receive a code to work with it, but you can't transfer
that code to someone else - they have to get their own code. Transfering a
code immediately terminates any right to use it. You cannot connect to it
using a non-supported Vclient. There isnt any support or guarantees that go
along with VCS, just community good will. It will get upgraded of course and
benefit from other platform fixes.

The development team comes up with some very innovative new features and
carefully prioritizes fixes and optimizations. The company prioritizes these
according to feedback we get from customers. VDN customer feedback is given
the highest priority, then ADK customer feedback. We are very interested in
VCS feedback but, our VDN and ADK customers in good standing are paying the
bills and we condition our love accordingly.

Im going to be in and out today, but Ill try to field licensing questions as
they come in.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President