Paradigma Wants You - Valentina Community Server

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Jul 1 17:28:02 CDT 2007

On 02/07/2007, at 1:40 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> I still think PHP connections being added to Office/Embedded Server
>> connections suck. I know you believe VDN is only for application
>> developing but Web serving is such an integral part of databases
>> these days that PHP connections should just be free - and you're
>> basically conceding this with VCS. This is why there was so much
>> drama at FMP around version 4/5 - everyone wanted their solutions to
>> be on the web as well as connected with Filemaker - you can't
>> separate the two technologies.
>
> I see your point, Kim.
> I think we will consider it more deeply and discuss here.
Please do.

As I said to Thorsten, you're already offering PHP for free now, I
just want it on my application server rather than having to manage a
second server and sync them. Requiring 2 servers to get free PHP is a
hurdle not a benefit.

Look, it's not going to be a huge deal for me as I mainly develop
internally, but for the solutions I do sell to clients, I have to be
your salesman and it's going to be a tough sell - especially when I
don't agree with the principle.

Filemaker saw the problem of having separate web and application
servers. They now offer FMP Server Advanced for people wanting an
application server which handles web on the same server. I'll grant
you they only handle 100 web connections but I'm sure that's to
protect performance.

>>   It should be like OSX Server, where you buy a 10 user version which
>> simply limits AFP connections but still allows unlimited Mail, Web
>> even SMB. By all means limit the RB etc connections but let the PHP
>> be unlimited.
> Such solution I afraid require special TECHNICAL efforts,
Wouldn't it just be a matter of identifying PHP connections and not
incrementing the connection count? Of course I also realise that in
programming, things are never as easy as they first seem:)

> And raise issue of hackers breaks.
Perhaps, but sadly I'm sure a dedicated cracker could break you now.

cheers

kim