V4RB 2.5.3 Indexing crash, again

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Jan 12 11:42:44 CST 2007

On Friday, January 12, 2007 sunshine at public.kherson.ua (Ruslan Zasukhin) wrote:

>Steve, I think its a Valentina bug. So please try send me your project ...
>May be even compiled windows app...without VComponents
>So when I will run it on my computer, your EXE will start to use my debug
>dlls. You see?

If you think its a Valentina bug, who am I to argue. :-)  I'm not betting on it, but it would be good for me!

I created a small web page with links to the app.  I have links to the Mac and Windows programs with and without the VComponents.  There are also two databases - one a small test DB and the other my production data.  I will send the source code to you privately.

The web page is here:
    <http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Brian/BrianDL_Test.htm>

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I just had a friend test out the download and he reports that when he places the database in what he calls a "rooted" directory, the program does not crash.  (i.e. D:\DATAFOLDER\database.vdb)  When he puts the same file in the Desktop or My Documents folder, the program will crash creating the index.  I'm not that familiar with Windows to know why this would make a difference.

>> I have tried to create a smaller app for demo purposes using the exact
>> database classes copied from the crashing app and opening the same DB, but
>> that app will not crash at all.  This is why I'm fairly certain that the bug
>> is not in Valentina.
>
>Also interesting ... Or your test project still have SOME difference which
>you do not see yet.

Agree, but I've looked hard...

>> But, I've looked and looked and cannot see why my app is
>> crashing and have no idea why the debuglevel setting should have anything to
>> do with this.  The app seems to work fine in all other ways aside from index
>> creation.
>
>> Can anyone on the list give me a clue as to what I might look at for this....
>> before I quit programming and commit myself to an asylum!
>
>May be it is side effect of some RAM corruption...
>Such bug are incredible hard.

I know.  I've encountered these in other applications and they can take years off one's life...

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/