V4RB 2.5.3 Indexing crash, again

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jan 12 03:15:52 CST 2007

On 12/1/07 7:29 AM, "Steve Albin" <steve at steve-albin.com> wrote:

> I've narrowed down the parameters involved with my app that crashes when
> indexing a database.   The app is created on a Mac with RB2006r3 and V4RB
> 2.5.3.  The app works fine on the Mac, but the problems arise when running the
> Windows version.
>
> I am convinced the problem is in my app and not a bug in Valentina,  but I'm
> at a dead end in debugging and I'm hoping I can get a lead from a list member
> that may have an insight into my problem
>
> When I open a database without an index or reindex an open database, my app
> crashes hard - no exception processing.  The database is originally created
> using mode 5 - a .vdb and .ind file.  I use the class way to open my DB. The
> resultant .ind file is about half the size it should be.  If I open a database
> that already has a valid index, then the app will crash when doing a
> DatabaseReIndex command from within the app.
>
> Here's the kicker - if I change the following line of code in the Open event
> handler of the app class:
>         Valentina.DebugLevel  = EVDebugLevel.kLogNothing
>
> to:
>         Valentina.DebugLevel  = EVDebugLevel.kLogParams
>
> then the app will not crash!

Very interesting. Also exists lower levels which you can try:

         Valentina.DebugLevel  = EVDebugLevel.kLogErrors

Steve, I think its a Valentina bug. So please try send me your project ...
May be even compiled windows app...without VComponents
So when I will run it on my computer, your EXE will start to use my debug
dlls. You see?

> I have tried to create a smaller app for demo purposes using the exact
> database classes copied from the crashing app and opening the same DB, but
> that app will not crash at all.  This is why I'm fairly certain that the bug
> is not in Valentina.

Also interesting ... Or your test project still have SOME difference which
you do not see yet.

> But, I've looked and looked and cannot see why my app is
> crashing and have no idea why the debuglevel setting should have anything to
> do with this.  The app seems to work fine in all other ways aside from index
> creation.

> Can anyone on the list give me a clue as to what I might look at for this....
> before I quit programming and commit myself to an asylum!

May be it is side effect of some RAM corruption...
Such bug are incredible hard.

So what about your EXE which do crash ?