V4RB 2.5.3 Indexing crash, again

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Jan 12 12:41:08 CST 2007

On Friday, January 12, 2007 steve at steve-albin.com (Steve Albin) wrote:

>IMPORTANT UPDATE: I just had a friend test out the download and he reports that when he
>places the database in what he calls a "rooted" directory, the program does not crash.
>(i.e. D:\DATAFOLDER\database.vdb)  When he puts the same file in the Desktop or My
>Documents folder, the program will crash creating the index.  I'm not that familiar with
>Windows to know why this would make a difference.

I'm replying to my own post because I have more information regarding this problem and maybe a solid work around.

In my testing I use Virtual PC.  Don't know if that makes a difference, but I thought I should mention it.  I use InnoSetup to install my app into C:\Program Files\MyApp\MyApp.exe.  I was storing my database in the My Documents or the Desktop directories.  I keep all the VComponents files in the same directory as my app and do not attempt to set any path to a central location.

I just moved my app to C:\MyApp\MyApp.exe AND the database to C:\MyData\mydata.vdb and everything now works fine.  ???  This explains why the same app on the Mac works fine when the Windows version crashed.

There must still be something in my app causing this crash, because when I tried to make a smaller app using an exact copy of my DB classes, that app worked wherever I put it without crashing.  Something in my app is causing Valentina not to like it when I place the app in a directory with spaces or special chars in the name.

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/