date-time format wrong!!

Mr. Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:18:51 CST 2007

Hi Thorsten,

On 11-dec-07, at 23:05, Thorsten Hohage wrote:

> Hi Bart,
>

> On 2007-12-11, at 22:40, Mr. Bart Pietercil wrote:
>
>> in SQL editor in VStudio, ALSO returns WRONG formatted date!!
>> Like this : 11-12-2007 16:35:41:123
>>

>> The database IS set to YYYYMMDD
>>
>> So at least the NOW function is exhibiting the problem.
> Yes, I can confirm this one. I just play around and checked it,
> too. Interesting enough, when open the DB locally in VStudio then
> everything works like expected.
>

>> But also running a trigger that uses the now function inserts non
>> yyyymmdd formated dates (and screws up all date handling we are
>> doing in the backend)
>> HUGUE problem for us as the release date is approaching fast
>
> I didn't get this one. Because if you store the value of now() in a
> Date or DateTime column then the value and not the string
> representation should be stored inside of the field. If it is
> important, why don't you try to get separate values or use your own
> method to build your own propitiate string as a workaround until
> the dev crew fix this issue?

The problem is all of our tables have before-insert and before-update
triggers that log the change datetimes. Having to adapt at least 120
triggers and reviewing 60+ stored procedures (not to mention
retesting all of those) is not something I'm looking forward too with
a deadline in sight.
We have put MUCH 'intelligence' inside the backend db ( obviously
VServer) and are running now against 'stupid' issues that are
becoming a tremendous waste of time ( time we cannot for the moment
afford to loose)

Did I mention deadline(s) ?
Do I look nervous ;-) ?

Bart