date-time format wrong!!

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Tue Dec 11 16:54:11 CST 2007

Hi Bart,

On 2007-12-11, at 23:18, Mr. Bart Pietercil wrote:
> Did I mention deadline(s) ?
> Do I look nervous ;-) ?

I've been really with you, I know these situations ...

> The problem is all of our tables have before-insert and before-
> update triggers that log the change datetimes.
I didn't get it here. If I use a datetime-field and store the value of
now() in it, then it's not related to the string representation, or do
I make a mistake here? So all these triggers should write the correct
values, but obviously you get a wrong representation back when you
request the value. Or do you really want to tell me you're going to
store a datetime in a varchar field? (sorry, it's not meant as
criticism here - I hate critic on my own, when the deadline is on it's
way - only to try to get behind your problem)

> Having to adapt at least 120 triggers and reviewing 60+ stored
> procedures (not to mention retesting all of those) is not something
> I'm looking forward too with a deadline in sight.
It would not such a big deal - dump structure to XML, regex the calls
to Now(), load structure, transfer data, ... - call me naive, please.
I'm afraid you've a couple of reasons not to do it in this way.

> We have put MUCH 'intelligence' inside the backend db ( obviously
> VServer) and are running now against 'stupid' issues that are
> becoming a tremendous waste of time ( time we cannot for the moment
> afford to loose)

Side note - you're still like to use REALbasic?????

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany