varChar field endian problem with Intel Macs

jda jda at his.com
Thu Aug 2 06:01:53 CDT 2007

>So not ALL users get this problem?
>I have not catch very good WHEN problem comes.
>
>They take some OLD 2.x db from MAC PPC,
>     move It to MAC INTEL
>     and open here using 3.x or using 2.x ?
>
>I remember we did fix something like this for you more than year ago.

Yes, you told me there was a bug in V2.x (I forget which) with UTF-16
endian-ness for varchar fields created on PPC and then opened on
Intel Macs.

The steps are as you said:

1. Create PPC db with old version of Valentina
2. Move to Intel Mac and open with 3.2.
3. varChar fields stored as UTF-16 now have reversed endian-ness, and
when read with RB -> "Chinese" characters (garbage).

>Or may be to use XML dump or Clone.

I have found that clone does fix it for new entries, but not older ones.

I'd like to be able to do this transparently to the user, though,
which is why I was hoping there was something I could do about
setting the field's properties.

I have an example of such a db, if that is worth posting on Mantis.

Jon