varChar field endian problem with Intel Macs

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 3 04:03:42 CDT 2007

Hi Jon,

>> So not ALL users get this problem?
>> I have not catch very good WHEN problem comes.
>>
>> They take some OLD 2.x db from MAC PPC,
>>     move It to MAC INTEL
>>     and open here using 3.x or using 2.x ?
>>
>> I remember we did fix something like this for you more than year ago.
>
> Yes, you told me there was a bug in V2.x (I forget which) with UTF-16
> endian-ness for varchar fields created on PPC and then opened on
> Intel Macs.
>
> The steps are as you said:
>
> 1. Create PPC db with old version of Valentina
> 2. Move to Intel Mac and open with 3.2.
> 3. varChar fields stored as UTF-16 now have reversed endian-ness, and
> when read with RB -> "Chinese" characters (garbage).
>

>> Or may be to use XML dump or Clone.
>>

> I have found that clone does fix it for new entries, but not older ones.

We did fix issue in the past.

Dbs which you see now I think already are messed -- they most probably
contain VarChar strings in both encodings. So impossible to fix at all.

I think you can find this old issue in Mantis to recall details.

I afraid only way is -- clone such db on PPC.
If on PPC they was fine, then Clone by 3.2 should somehow fix this.

And I hope that exists quite few such dbs in your userbase.