varChar field endian problem with Intel Macs

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Aug 2 00:31:32 CDT 2007

Hi Jon,

> I have users with a database made on a PPC Mac with an older version
> of Valentina (2.x). There is a varchar field, encoded as UTF-16.
>
> When the db is opened on a PPC Mac all is well.
>
> When it is opened on an Intel Mac, it seems OK, too. The data in the
> field are read correctly.

So not ALL users get this problem?
I have not catch very good WHEN problem comes.

They take some OLD 2.x db from MAC PPC,
    move It to MAC INTEL
    and open here using 3.x or using 2.x ?

I remember we did fix something like this for you more than year ago.

> But when the data are edited and saved, when read back in they come
> out as garbage. You told me this was an encoding endian problem that
> was corrected in more recent versoins of Valentina, which is OK.
>
> My question is, can I fix the problem programmatically when the db is
> opened for the first time with V3.x? That is, is there an SQL (or
> API) way to fix the field so that the user doesn't have what they
> think the db is corrupted?

No, there is no such way.

Or they need open db at first on PPC.
Or may be to use XML dump or Clone.