V4REV on Revolution 2.7?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Mar 12 11:25:25 CST 2006

On 3/11/06 5:36 PM, "Joël Guillod" <medips at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Joël,

You work on mac or win ?

> The next 3 months I will finally have time to spend in order to
> seriously study and test Valentina for Revolution. I need a multiuser/
> multiplatform DBMS and I will decide between Valentina, Postgresql
> and MySQL at the end of this study.
>
> Yet I have some problem going throught the Valentina Tutorial. The
> Valentina_Init() seem to work correctly but VDatabase_Open() or
> VDatabase_Create() returns errors. I suspect that this is related to
> the recent Revolution 2.7 release where the installation of the
> development environment has changed (i.e. folders hierarchy with
> plugins and utility). Or maybe the tutorial is not accurate (I just
> found that the script in the pdf tutorial is not quite the same than
> the script in the provided stacks).
>
> So I would be pleased if experienced users can help me in answering
> my questions:

Revolution developers correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

> - How to properly install the Valentina plugin/external under Rev 2.7
> IDE? And also under a standalone?

Revolution do not have special folder for plugins. You can drop V4REV
external at any location generally speaking, and specify path to external in
YOUR stack.

> - How do you compare using the standard Revolution database library
> to using the proprietary Valentina API?

Valentina 2 do not support yet RevDB. Valentina 1.x did.
But Trevor have point that better use Valentina API.

I think in nearest weeks we will add RevDB support into Valentina 2,
And may be Rev even improve RevDB itself to better integrate with Valentina.

> - Is one of the method better from the other? In which case (I
> suspect that the proprietary allow for more functionality)?

RevDB is better only if you want have code independent from db engine.
But you can use Trevor's db library which do the same job.

In ideal we will try integrate both ways, so you can from RevDB object get
Vdatabase object to get full access. (not implemented)

> - Are there any Transcript or stack libraries, or any material which
> could help me in seriously mastering Valentina 2 for Rev?

Trevor's library

V4REV Tutorials
V4REV Reference
V4REV Examples Guide
V4REV Examples (about 50)

Valentina Kernel
Valentina SQL

> - Is the "Valentina Developer Network Platform Edition 4 years
> maintenance" a good choice if I intend to distribute an end-user
> application with access to DBMS by 1 to 10 users (rarely much more
> less than 5 users)?

Yes. Each user can connect disconnect fast, to not exceed  5 users limit.

> - I will appreciate comments on the good and not so good experiences
> with V4REV 2?

> - I found obvious errors in the documentation
> V4REV_Reference_2_en.pdf (for instance on pages 77-79 the handlers
> are prefixed VDatabase_ where VTable_ seem to be expected according
> to context and to page 58). Also handlers like CreateUShortField are
> mentioned but not explained. Then, is there an errata or corrected
> documentation?

Please report such mistakes into our Mantis bug tracker. We will correct
them and upload new PDFs