V4REV on Revolution 2.7?

Joël Guillod medips at mac.com
Sat Mar 11 16:36:45 CST 2006

The next 3 months I will finally have time to spend in order to
seriously study and test Valentina for Revolution. I need a multiuser/
multiplatform DBMS and I will decide between Valentina, Postgresql
and MySQL at the end of this study.

Yet I have some problem going throught the Valentina Tutorial. The
Valentina_Init() seem to work correctly but VDatabase_Open() or
VDatabase_Create() returns errors. I suspect that this is related to
the recent Revolution 2.7 release where the installation of the
development environment has changed (i.e. folders hierarchy with
plugins and utility). Or maybe the tutorial is not accurate (I just
found that the script in the pdf tutorial is not quite the same than
the script in the provided stacks).

So I would be pleased if experienced users can help me in answering
my questions:
- How to properly install the Valentina plugin/external under Rev 2.7
IDE? And also under a standalone?
- How do you compare using the standard Revolution database library
to using the proprietary Valentina API?
- Is one of the method better from the other? In which case (I
suspect that the proprietary allow for more functionality)?
- Are there any Transcript or stack libraries, or any material which
could help me in seriously mastering Valentina 2 for Rev?
- Is the "Valentina Developer Network Platform Edition 4 years
maintenance" a good choice if I intend to distribute an end-user
application with access to DBMS by 1 to 10 users (rarely much more
less than 5 users)?
- I will appreciate comments on the good and not so good experiences
with V4REV 2?
- I found obvious errors in the documentation
V4REV_Reference_2_en.pdf (for instance on pages 77-79 the handlers
are prefixed VDatabase_ where VTable_ seem to be expected according
to context and to page 58). Also handlers like CreateUShortField are
mentioned but not explained. Then, is there an errata or corrected
documentation?

Warm thanks for any reply.

Me