REVOLUTION - trouble with pictures. Help please.

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Jul 31 10:31:51 CDT 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 7/31/06 6:28 PM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 31, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>>>
>>> We do simplest script with 2 lines that must via variable copy
>>> picture
>>>
>>>   put the imageData of image "pic" into dataPic
>>>   put dataPic into imageData of image "pic2"
>>>
>>> Nothing happens.
>>>
>>> Anybody see what is wrong ?
>>
>> set the imageData of imgage "pic2" to dataPic
>
> Thank you, Trevor,
> Kirill, try this syntax.
>
> Trevor, our above syntax is not correct?
> It seems the same logic and Revolution do not complain.

The syntax is not correct.  Use "set" for properties, "put" for
variables.                 Hmm, the compiler doesn't complain but
when you try to execute the code you should get an error.

>> FYI - "imageData" is the visual representation of the image on
>> screen.  The "text" of an image is the actual image format data (png,
>> jpeg, etc.).  You probably want to store the image format data as
>> opposed to the imageData.
>
> We do not store format of picture. We just store JPG or TIFF itself
> and all
> other ADKs. Because it is possible recognize type of picture by its
> data.

OK, if you are trying to store JPG data (or PNG, etc.) then you need
to get the text of the image.  The imageData is NOT the raw image
data.  It stores eachs pixels data as it is displayed on screen.
Each pixel being represented by 4 bytes (Alpha Red Green Blue).

put the text of img "pic" into dataPic

> Trevor, also we do not see in Revolution Examples any example that
> show work
> of picture via RevDB. Does exists such example?

Not that I know of.

> In fact I have many questions about this :-)
>
> E.g. Do you use *b in real life?
> you send pictures into RevDB using *b ?
> Just I am not sure how then to recognize format of picture...

You do need to use *b when inserting binary data.

> --------------------
> About BLOBs.
>
> Does for Revolution developers have any sense and if they have such
> ability
> in revolution itself prepare some binary data and store them into BLOB
> column?
>
>     set SOMETHING BINARY to data
>     BLOB_WriteData( fldRef, "data" )

I'm not sure what you mean here.