[V4RB2] Convert_v1_v2 problem

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Feb 24 14:38:06 CST 2006

On 2/24/06 2:32 PM, "Stan Busk" <maxprog at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you think that should be object for a feature request? I mean the
> possibility to use a flag when changing the type of a field in order
> to keep the data it already contains? It would be really handy in
> cases like mine where the new type is same size or when new type is
> bigger. Doest it make sense? That would allow to correct design
> problems or to update a type to a bigger one. Do you think it is
> possible to implement? I guess you can do that in 4D or am I
> dreaming? I am worried about the fact a design problem has no
> solution and you have almost 10k people using your software :(

Stan,

* We do preserve DATA when user do change type everywhere where this have
sense!

* even if you convert LONG to SHORT we also preserve data because this means
that developer have small numbers and have decide change type.

BUT

LONG to ObjectPtr -- is dead combination. We CANNOT allow you do such
conversion with preserve of data because YOU can do mistake, and have wrong
value. Then you catch non-consistent database. You see?

This is why we ZERO values when you convert INTO objectPtr.

Stan, you can simply workaround this. Just
    - create new ObjectPtr
    - do loop by all records
    - copy  fldObjectPtr = fldULong

But I recommend yet add check  if( Exists( recid) )