Dump-Load dump and binary links

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Dec 4 11:23:16 CST 2006

On 12/4/06 12:14 AM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder about dumps and binary links. Docs say about XML dump "XML
>>> dump is very useful as it allows you to safely dump a database with
>>> ObjectPtr fields.
>>> On loading this information into a new database, Valentina will
>>> automatically correct values of ObjectPtr fields in related tables."
>>

>>> Is this true for binary links as well?
>>
>> Yes should be true.
>> The same all for SQL dump.
>>
> Hmm I just got confused by the sentence as it give the impression that XML
> is better then SQL dump as it correct ObjectPtr values, just as SQL doesn't
> do this?

Historically in v1 was only XML dump.
In v2 we have add ability of SQL dump also.

Both this ways as FULL dump of the whole db, must be able restore database
and in the correct state of course.

>> Wait, you cannot load XML dump into db which have records...
>>
> I realized that :-)
>
> But what about if I dump just records, they can't either be Loaded into a
> dbs with existing records, or if I will lose binary links?

Such complex behavior is not implemented yet.

Yes it is a dream to get ability export one-few records from one-few linked
tables into XML.

Then import them back...for this task in general case it needs to support
XSD-driven import.

We did start development in this direction in Jan 2005, but later it was on
hold