Dump-Load dump and binary links

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Dec 3 23:17:13 CST 2006

On 12/3/06 2:17 PM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

Hi Joakim,

> I wonder about dumps and binary links. Docs say about XML dump "XML dump is
> very useful as it allows you to safely dump a database with ObjectPtr
> fields.
> On loading this information into a new database, Valentina will
> automatically correct values
> of ObjectPtr fields in related tables."

> Is this true for binary links as well?

Yes should be true.
The same all for SQL dump.

In case you will find any problems with this please let us know.

> I am thinking of a sceenario where I
> have and original set of data records, which is binary linked in different
> tables. User start out with this, then add own data (which my program creats
> links for. Then something happen and he lose some of the original data and
> need it back. Is it safe to load a Dump of this data, dispite the DB may
> have changes?

Wait, you cannot load XML dump into db which have records...

> There may also be a sceenario where I have some optional data set, user
> start and decide to not use this data and add own records. Later he maybe
> like to have this data anyway, is it then safe to Load Dump with this
> (binary linked) data and actually ObjectPtr as well because RecID will no
> longer be same?

Valentina do corrections of values of ObjectPtr and BinaryLink (I think)
during load. This is required step first of all because old db can have
deleted record, new one will not have them, so RecID values will differ.