Correct DB location on Win XP/Vista

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Dec 2 14:32:50 CST 2006

On 12/2/06 10:34 AM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

Hi Joakim,

> As I prepare my first setup which also will include Valentina for the first
> time, I am wondering if you NOT put database and dll's in programs exe dir,
> and dll's not in System32, which is then the "correct" location to put these
> files - Common Files or ApplicationData?

> I have several programs that
> evemtually will use Valentina and they will use the same databases in some
> cases.

You know that 2 apps cannot open the same db in the same time. Right?
Will be "file is already opened error".

> There is also the possibility that more then one user on the Pc will
> use my program(s) and it's a local sceenario only, no network/server.

I assume not in the same time, right ?

--------
> The rule though must be though that any
> user (except guest maybe) would need to have both read and write
> prevelieges, but not necesarrily Create - at least not in a fashion that it
> will block write for other users. This is what can happen now in XP if you
> put files at the wrong place.

Yes, as I know "My Documents" is the most correct place where should go
anything what we create as OS users, even VB6/RB/Visual projects..

One of reasons, if you upgrade/reinstall OS, then Windows and I think MacOS
preserve contents of "my Documents".

> Obvious a good and safe place to put files is in My Documents, if they are
> user specific, but in this case it would mean an extra 50-75 Mb for each
> user, which I don't think is acceptable dispite the big discs of today.

You mean some INFO is the same for all users?
Then I assume it is read only ?

So may be put it in separate db file, set flag Read Only for this db ?