Correct DB location on Win XP/Vista

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Sat Dec 2 09:34:23 CST 2006

Hi,

As I prepare my first setup which also will include Valentina for the first
time, I am wondering if you NOT put database and dll's in programs exe dir,
and dll's not in System32, which is then the "correct" location to put these
files - Common Files or ApplicationData? I have several programs that
evemtually will use Valentina and they will use the same databases in some
cases. There is also the possibility that more then one user on the Pc will
use my program(s) and it's a local sceenario only, no network/server.

Actually, I haven't quite understood the difference between CF and AD,
except for the names, although I'm of the impression that CF more is a left
over since the early Win 95/98 days. I haven't had any oportunity to look at
Vista yet so I am not quite sure how it works there, but obviously I would
like to get my file structure right from the beginning, even if my app would
show to have other Vista issues. The rule though must be though that any
user (except guest maybe) would need to have both read and write
prevelieges, but not necesarrily Create - at least not in a fashion that it
will block write for other users. This is what can happen now in XP if you
put files at the wrong place.

Obvious a good and safe place to put files is in My Documents, if they are
user specific, but in this case it would mean an extra 50-75 Mb for each
user, which I don't think is acceptable dispite the big discs of today.

Regards,
Joakim