Correct DB location on Win XP/Vista

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Sat Dec 2 15:02:14 CST 2006

> > I have several programs that
> > evemtually will use Valentina and they will use the same
> databases in
> > some cases.
>
> You know that 2 apps cannot open the same db in the same time. Right?
> Will be "file is already opened error".

Yes I know that, which is a bit silly really, even a low budget DB as Access
can do this on local :-)

It's not a big problem for me as it's a rather rare case to appear.

> > There is also the possibility that more then one user on
> the Pc will
> > use my program(s) and it's a local sceenario only, no
> network/server.
>
> I assume not in the same time, right ?

Of course not, but it sort of a "family" program, so it might be run from
several accouts.

> --------
> > The rule though must be though that any user (except guest maybe)
> > would need to have both read and write prevelieges, but not
> > necesarrily Create - at least not in a fashion that it will block
> > write for other users. This is what can happen now in XP if you put
> > files at the wrong place.
>
> Yes, as I know "My Documents" is the most correct place where
> should go anything what we create as OS users, even
> VB6/RB/Visual projects..

Yes if it was a question of just 5 maybe 10 mb, but 75... Well I will see. I
need to some testing and see what really works as the MS doc's on this are
rather complex and not easy to grasp.

> One of reasons, if you upgrade/reinstall OS, then Windows and
> I think MacOS preserve contents of "my Documents".

Yes that's a good thing, not sure how it is with "Shared Documents" but
probably the same?

I put most things into My Documents or Shared Documents, it's a bit
depending on what the user wants, my most concers are about were to put
Valentina, both db's and dll's actually. As several programs use it, and
maybe others then mine, it's not fair to put one set of dll's into each
program dir. I know you do so, but's a bit different as you deliver to
developers, it has it's purpose.

I thought of putting them in Shared Application Data folder and set it in
PATH first, but after some though I decided put them in my own sub dir of
System32 instead. PATH can only hold 1024 characters and you shouldn't alter
it unless you absolutely have to. What I think though is that should have a
consensus of were to put these dll's, maybe ..\System32\Valentina2\ ? To
have an official recommended location, what do you think? I don't know if
these files are different though for COM and RB? I don't know how it is with
RB and plugins, but I think as for normal resourses they are packed into
each program right? Which I think is a bad idea actually, "all in one exe
and no deps". If it's a question of a few hundred k maybe but why have 15
different programs carrying the same 2mb dependencies???

> > Obvious a good and safe place to put files is in My
> Documents, if they
> > are user specific, but in this case it would mean an extra 50-75 Mb
> > for each user, which I don't think is acceptable dispite
> the big discs of today.
>
> You mean some INFO is the same for all users?
> Then I assume it is read only ?

Not necessarily.

> So may be put it in separate db file, set flag Read Only for this db ?

No none of my db's are ready only, some tables maybe but not whole db. Well
I have to test in real (VmWare) and see what is feasable.

/Joakim