[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Shaun Wexler dev at macfoh.com
Fri Aug 25 05:17:32 CDT 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 3:35 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Shaun have NDA with Paradigma and access to our CVS
>
> Shaun is very cool C++ / ObjC developer and crazy on speed,
> even more than me :-)

I feel the need to defend myself against that statement!  I am a
devout C/ObjC and AltiVec/ppc-asm developer, and think that "C is to C+
+, like brain is to cancer".  I'm certainly crazy about maximizing
execution speed of code.  Oh, and in my youth I was rather cool, and I
have developed an extremely-cool app for pro sound engineers (and it's
elegant and blazingly fast)... but these days I don't think I'm
sufficiently "cool" anymore.  ;)

> He use Valentina sources to combine them in different way
> to tease Valentina :-)
>
> We all hope that his experiments will give cool additional into main
> Valentina CVS.
>
> Shaun already have push us to idea use ICU from OSX. So if you
> remember in
> June I have spend about 2 weeks re-writing engine to use only C-
> methods from
> ICU, instead of C++.

Just to clarify, when I created VX and first built it, the existing
kernel and C++ calls into ICU worked just fine.  Ruslan later
streamlined and improved the code to use C calls, removing the C++
wrapper overhead of the OO ICU classes, to provide future
compatibility with Apple's ICU, plus for efficiency.

> Also there are ideas improve Valentina using SSE for Intel CPU, and
> may be
> AltiVec for PPC. Multi-threading of engine, and others..

I have an idea how to further improve the kernel for its string
handling, but it's truly a v3.0 job, and probably better to hit the 64-
bit path at the same time, because it's a radical change and will
result in some new API, but most will be the same.  However to support
true 64-bit app's and kernel, it's wise to extend the record handling
capacity of the database to > 32 bits of indices, TBD.

--
Shaun Wexler
MacFOH

There are 10 types of people in this world:  those who understand
binary, and those who don't.