Need advice

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Apr 18 09:53:56 CDT 2006

On 4/18/06 7:23 AM, "Brendan Murphy" <bmurf at comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Brendan,

> OK, I need some advice here.
>
> I upgraded from 1.11 to 2.3 and everything seems pretty good. I am
> using the valentina database in the local single file database
> format. I treat the databases like documents to the end user. With
> version 1.11 the relationship between the segment size and the
> size of the file was proportional. The bigger the segment the
> bigger the file. So I settled on 8k segment sizes as a compromise
> for performance/size ratio.
>
> With version 2.3, the internals have changed, so I am assuming my
> previous measurements don't apply. Starting over...

In fact must be the same as 1.x
What exactly you have to find?

> Here are my questions (context valentina 2.3 with local
> databases):
>
> 1) Does segment size affect performance of the database? Is it
> faster if I use a larger segment size?

What I know is:
    IF you have BIG database but use SMALL segment size
    then you get bigger tree of FAT for internal file system.
    this means slower work with this tree.

> 2) Does segment size affect file size?

Only on initial state - for empty db.

When you have add many data >= initial size of empty db,
Then segment size practically should not affect db size.

When db have grow OVER its initial size, the db.segmentSize
Affects the only size of incremental grow of db.

> I have noticed files I have created start out small then suddenly jump in file
> size when updated later, which is OK, but it is the steady state size of the
> database that I am interested in.

Ho much jump ?

Data :-)

> My goal for the project I am working on is to minimize the file
> size since the end user will be using some form of version control
> on the target document. If I can tweak the the segment size to
> control file sizes without affecting user perceived performance.

What is average size of that "documents" ?