Need advice

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Tue Apr 18 12:25:40 CDT 2006

Ruslan wrote:
>> I upgraded from 1.11 to 2.3 and everything seems pretty good. I am
>> using the valentina database in the local single file database
>> format. I treat the databases like documents to the end user. With
>> version 1.11 the relationship between the segment size and the
>> size of the file was proportional. The bigger the segment the
>> bigger the file. So I settled on 8k segment sizes as a compromise
>> for performance/size ratio.
>>
>> With version 2.3, the internals have changed, so I am assuming my
>> previous measurements don't apply. Starting over...
>
> In fact must be the same as 1.x
> What exactly you have to find?

With 1.1 file sizes exploded proportionally with segment size.
With 2.3 I would characterize it as leveling off as the the number
of records increases. In other words, there is no significant
difference in file sizes for 100,000 records using segments sizes
of 4k, 8k, 16k, and 32K. There is a significant difference
(percentage wise) when there is only 10, 100, 1000, and 1000
records. So this is definitely a different behavior from version
1.1.

I notice a slow down when using 4k segment sizes for very large
(100,000 records) files, but no difference in speed for 8k, 16k,
and 32k segment sizes. So it looks like 8k seems to be optimal.